About The Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
The Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Program (OPTR) at Touro College was established and received approval from the New York State Department of Education in 2009 it received accreditation from the specialization board of the APTA (ABPTRFE) in 2013. The program is a one or two-year, university-based part time clinical residency program designed for physical therapists who wish to pursue a post-graduate specialization in orthopedics. This 18 credit certificate program offers an intense and rigorous curriculum combining:
- Clinical didactic course work (7 courses) which covers assessment and treatment of extremities and spine, and advanced techniques in Muscle Energy, MFR and high velocity
- Two (2) on line clinical mentoring courses.
- Clinical Screening/ Differential Diagnosis course
- Education course which includes preparation of the resident for an experience in teaching a class in the entry-level DPT program
- An evidenced based course on Diagnostic Imaging
- A clinical residency course, consisting of 180 hours of a mentored clinical experience, in which the resident is working 1-on-1 with a master clinician. This is done part time - as little as 5 hours or as many as 20 hours a week.
Our focus is evidenced based treatment and mentored training in the art and science of orthopedic physical therapy practice.
The residency program is designed to allow physical therapists to enhance their clinical reasoning and refine their manual skill while remaining at their present jobs. It is also geographically convenient, with courses available in many locations across the country. Through ongoing clinical supervision and mentoring in both classroom and clinical settings by physical therapists who excel in the field, the resident is prepared to become a board-certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) and take the next step in career advancement.
A discount of 10% is available for:
- Clinicians who participate in the clinical education program for the Entry Level DPT Program and have taken a student in the last 12 months.