Admission Requirements and Procedures
- The Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Touro College participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). All applicants must apply online using the PTCAS application. The program has a rolling admission policy and applicants are encouraged to apply early. For further information regarding application deadlines and procedures, please visit www.ptcas.org. Entry into the program is in the fall semester only.
- Decisions on admission are made by a committee of the faculty based on assessment of the applicant's past academic performance, standardized test scores, references, essay, and commitment to the profession of physical therapy.
- Satisfactory completion of 90 transferable (grade of "C" or better) credits at an accredited college or university or its equivalent is required for admission to the program. These must include 15 credits taken to satisfy a major or minor (of which 9 credits must be upper division courses), 15 elective credits, and at least 60 credits in the Liberal Arts and Sciences. Specific course prerequisites include:
- 8 credits of Biology*
- 8 credits of Physics*
- 8 credits of Chemistry*
- 6 credits of Anatomy & Physiology
- 6 credits of Psychology including General Psychology
- 6 credits of English Composition, or Composition and Literature**
- 3 credits of Mathematics (pre-calculus level)
- 3 credits of Statistics
- 42 additional credits, of which at least 12 must be in the liberal arts.
*These courses must include a laboratory and be designed for science majors. Science courses designed for liberal arts or nursing majors are not acceptable.
**Applicants must provide catalog descriptions for English courses not taught by an English department (e.g., through a core curriculum or honors program). The DPT program admissions committee may waive the English Composition and/or English Literature requirement for those applicants who already possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and have satisfied their English/Writing requirement.
Other requirements for admission include:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 for all coursework in order to be considered for admission.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a licensed physical therapist; the other from a student's former college professor.
- 50 documented hours of volunteer/work service in two or more different physical therapy settings. At least 25 hours must have been spent in an in-patient setting.
- Current American Red Cross Community or Professional Rescuer CPR competency certification.
- Current Standard First Aid competency certification.
- TOEFL test scores are required for students who did not graduate from high school or college in the USA or other English speaking country, with scores of 550 (written) or 220 (computer-based) in order to be considered for admission.
Students who do not meet established grade point standards may still apply through PTCAS, and then petition the Admissions Committee for consideration. The petition can be completed in the appropriate section of the PTCAS. It must clearly explain extenuating circumstances that have prevented the student from meeting existing grade point standards, and describe elements of the applicant's background that would indicate the potential for success in the program. The Admissions Committee may choose to admit students who have not met established admission requirements, based on the student's petition, application, and other supporting documents required as part of the application process.
The DPT program accepts students only on a full-time basis.
For further information, contact:
Office of Admissions
Touro College School of Health Sciences
1700 Union Boulevard
Bay Shore, New York 11706