Preferred Admission for School of Health Sciences Undergraduate Studies Students
Touro College students who have completed 34 or more undergraduate credits in the School of Health Sciences’ Undergraduate Studies department may qualify for “preferred admission” status to the Bay Shore Campus or Winthrop Extension Physician Assistant programs. The School of Health Sciences holds open a certain number of places in each entering class for students with "preferred" status.
Following are the criteria for consideration for preferred admission:
- Successful completion of all prerequisite courses
- Submission of a completed CASPA application and Supplemental Application
- Submission of the personal statement (see CASPA application for guidelines)
- Submission of verification of a minimum of 200 hours of direct patient contact including a minimum of 20 hours shadowing a PA (documentation forms can be found in the Supplemental Application)
- Submission of three letters of reference, including one from a Physician Assistant
- A 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA at Touro College
- A 3.0 minimum cumulative science/math GPA (excluding Physics) from all colleges attended
Unlike applicants who attended other institution, Undergraduate Studies students applying for admission to a given PA class who meet the above criteria and whose cumulative science/math GPA falls in the upper 80% qualify for preferred admission and are assured of an interview. The PA Admissions Committee, as with other applicants, makes final decisions on admission.
School of Health Sciences’ Undergraduate Studies applicants who do not meet the established grade point standards or other established admission requirements may petition the PA Admissions Committee in writing for consideration. Please refer to the “Admissions Appeals” section above for further details.
For further information, please contact:
Office of Admissions
Touro College School of Health Sciences
1700 Union Boulevard
Bay Shore, New York 11706